Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Saturday, May 7, 2011

The More Things Change

I am sitting here at KAF with my shoulders slightly raised toward my ears, my eyes squinted. I am cringing at the fact I haven't blogged in a very, very long time. I have the usual excuses, poor internet connection, rock n roll lifestyle...you know.

I think the problem may be tunnel vision, as in, "light at the end of the tunnel" vision.

In large part, my focus is on the end of the mission having spent a good deal of my time at Forward Operating Bases (Walton, Panjwa'i, Dand)...oh did I say Dand?


Yes, it's true, friends, I moved from Panjwa'i District to Dand District and since then have moved to KAF. So let me catch you all up.

Just prior to my vacation to Scotland (visiting the newest addition to the clan), Ireland (on St. Patrick's Day) and Egypt (because taking risks is what life is all about) I was asked by higher command to move to another District in Kandahar Province. Dand District. The CivPol guys there were due for a change and IPOB had to fill the spot there, albeit for a very short time. They asked. I answered.

So, I loaded up my gear, packed this, tossed that and gave away the other.

Believe it or not, you accumulate a lot of "stuff" even here in Afghanistan and it is a royal pain to hump it on and off helicopters. One man, one kit they say. Ironically, the more I moved, the more stuff I had and the smaller the rooms got!

My time in Dand District was brief and because of that I was unable to strike a chord and build relationships with the Key Leaders of the ANP (an absolute must if one wishes to gain the respect of the Afghans). My job as a mentor had come to an end with my departure from Panjwa'i and I was in Dand acting as a type of "Police Advisor" for the military mentor team there. Overall, not a bad gig, although I would have preferred to have been a little busier. What can ya do?

I did manage to get "outside the wire" a couple times and witnessed Afghan ingenuity at work. Here is a street light that has been re-wired to act as an indoor light at one of the Police Check Points. Almost every Afghan I have met has the uncanny ability to re-wire or re-work small appliances or machinery into something more useful or beneficial to him. I'm surprised more of them aren't named MacGyver!

I did get to see the military personnel exercise their right to vote! A polling station was set up and the boys lined up to cast their vote. It was organized and impressive (with a great result to boot).

I know I have said it before in previous posts, but I can't say enough about the military personnel I have had the opportunity to work with. From the regular force men and women to the reservists, they have all been incredibly professional, dedicated and friendly. Dand was no different. I have met and made lifelong friendships with some of the amazing people I've had the pleasure to work with.

After about a month I loaded up my gear, packed this, tossed that and gave away the other. You see a trend here?

So. I landed at KAF anticipating my last leave block where I currently have plans to visit friends on this side of the world while I have the chance. This place has grown even larger in population since we first landed in September 2010. The rest is pretty much as it was back then. It's hot, dusty, noisy, dusty, busy and dusty.

One of the more poignant memories of my visit to the Middle East will always be the assassination of Osama Bin Laden. On the very day the Taliban warned of mass attacks against International Security Assistance Force, the Al Qaeda (and terrorists everywhere) were dealt a blow to their morale. Kudos to U.S Navy Seal Team 6. And don't worry about the lefty liberals who love to criticize from their comfy little armchairs. You did the world a service and we are indebted to you!(let me just step down off my soap-box).

On a more positive note, when I get back from vacation I'll have about another week in theater before we head to Germany to "de-compress"


It's funny. Even though the days tend to drag on over here, the time has seemed to fly by.

5 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you Jay. Hard to believe I've been home safe this long already and you're still on your journey over there. Stay safe, enjoy your leave and looking forward to hearing when you're finally home. :)

    Kelita

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to seeing you back home!
    Cally and Orla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay;
    God Speed my friend. We can't wait to have you home...I have a few stories that will give you a chuckle!!
    Love you to bits,
    Hammer, Lovie, Gracie and Todd
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait until you get home. Geoff is chomping at the bit, counting down the minutes until your plane lands. xoxxoxo Shannon and Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of us at 52 Division miss you Jay.... When you get back it will back to the Kegger on Thursdays and a little Rosedale golf.... Keep strong and your police family wait's for your return .....

    Stibr

    ReplyDelete