Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Saturday, February 26, 2011

It Ain't All Kittens and Rainbows...

...but every once and awhile it is!

A couple of weeks ago this CivPol Roto passed the half way point of the mission. The day came and went like any other day here with maybe a little jump for joy in the back of my head. I have learned that 9 months is indeed a long time. But, like they say, it's all downhill from here.

The weather has been absolutely crazy. It's get pretty cold and windy here in our winter months. The temperature even gets below zero! The rain is torrential when it comes and is relentless when finding it's way through the cracks of my man made shack. There is a waterfall in my room every time it rains and I can't help but think what a feature like that would cost me in Toronto!

Often with mentoring the Afghan Police we feel like we have made some inroads and gained some ground only to be slammed back to reality a short time later. One of the most curious and dangerous habits they have is related to explosive finds. Despite of their training and several warnings from Coalition Forces the ANP almost always bring explosive devices back to their headquarters. As you can imagine, these "trophies" pose a real threat to the public, the Afghan police and, if I am to be zealous, to us!

For some reason, the accolades and respect the Afghans receive from higher command and one another outweigh the danger of moving the volatile substances.

I, personally, have had a proud Afghan Patrolman present me an anti personnel mine, had to cordon a small IED and been exposed to the all of BIPs (Blow In Place) of several dangerous IED components by Canadian Engineers.

The last IED cache find had several 20 litre jugs of HME (home made explosive), a few pressure cookers and detonation chord, all of which were carefully placed in the back of a police truck and driven cross-country right to our front door step. As with all of these demonstrations of success, the Canadian military engineers attend, take control and blow up the components in the safest way possible. The last one, pictured on the right, when destroyed blew out all of our lights and knocked everything of the shelves...not to mention jarred me to the bone!


As we negotiate through day to day operations here we are faced with daily challenges related to culture. An IED find, for the Afghans, is a reason to celebrate and demonstrate their courage and experience. The danger of moving it is secondary to the positive reinforcement they receive from their higher authority. Often times this causes a rift between we Canadians and the Afghans. The practice of moving IED components is slowly coming to an end as we reinforce the safer way to dispose of these threats.

One of the most impressive and inspiring stories I have from Panjwa'i doesn't relate to the war. It speaks to kindness, teamwork and courage. Not courage in the face of the enemy but courage to take action when you may be in over your head.

Relaying this story I run the risk of losing any street cred I may have had for being a heartless big city cop, but if I am lucky, you'll think there may be only a sliver of compassion in this black heart! :p

Before you read on I want you recall the Looney Tunes cartoon with bulldog Marc Anthony and his kitten friend Pussyfoot.

*special thanks to the cat whisperer for this photo*

A short time ago we had a kitten take up residence in our compound. He was annoying and cute and playful as kittens often are. We named him Major (Pain) because he is such a pain in the ass.

Our little friend managed to injure himself in a precarious area of his body. Boys, if you are faint of heart read no further!

Somehow Major had managed to cut open his tiny nutsack. His beans had found their way outside the their home and were dangling exposed and looking very uncomfortable as you might well imagine. After a day or so of parental worry about an infection a few of the soldiers and myself sprung into action.

Armed with the internet and some medical supplies we froze the Major's minors and removed them, placing the tube back inside the pouch before sewing him up.

My role, and that of another man,(it took both of us) was to hold him still while the team medics worked their magic with the scalpel and needle and thread.

The entire procedure took about 45 minutes where there was shortness of breath, heavy sweating and teary eyes...good thing I recover quickly!!


I am happy to report that a month later Major is still running around and annoying us night and day. He is happy, healthy and affectionate while continuing to be Major Pain.

7 comments:

  1. As always, great update, Jay. Play safe over there; keep making us proud.

    Sean T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you over there Jay and what a great perspective you put on it. Very proud of you Bro and stay safe !!

    J Coulthard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing :) We are working on sending off care packages to the TPS officers there.... Anything specific that you would like placed in the package. Take care and stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad the cat made it. I'm not sure if it showed from the picture but we are rather fond of each other. Good post jason. Just saw Proulx yesterday and he brought me up to speed. Heard you moved my stuff to CNS from Chris. Thanks for doing that.

    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....love the pictures of the cat. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JT, I see you do have a heart, at least for cat jewels LOL! Glad to see your well and stay safe my friend.

    Joe in Detroit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason, whats up my friend? Was thinking about you and hope all is going well. I guess you are going to miss us in june. Maybe we can all take a trip up later and hit the links and have some fun. Grace O'Malley's just wouldnt be the same. oh by the way, sorry about your Leaf's maybe next year. Be careful and stay safe.
    Joe in the Burgh

    ReplyDelete