Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Friday, December 24, 2010

When The Man Comes Around

It is Christmas Eve here in the Panjwa'i District of Kandahar Province in Afghanistan and I have finally reconciled what this blog post is to be about.

The Man.

Santa Clause? No.

Jesus? No. (but let's remember what Christmas is all about folks!)

I'm talking about The Man.

Me.

Picture me on my bunk, barefoot, atop a bright red comforter (for Christmas) in tan combat pants and my new blue hoody with my laptop ironically placed on my...(wait for it)...LAP.

I have been absent from my writing duties in large part due to my HLTA (Home Leave Travel Allowance) which saw me thankfully uprooted from my dusty shack in the south east of Afghanistan to the familiar (and comforting) cold of Canada. Three blissful weeks of Canadian cold.

My social, eventful and somewhat painful 36 hour trek home from Kandahar Airfield to Dubai to London Heathrow to Toronto to Milton (don't ask) to my hometown was all worthwhile when I stopped into my sister's place and was met by the shrilling shrieks and the spinning in circles of my two nephews Hayden and Cohen! Either they had a lot of sugar or they were happy to see their Uncle JJ.

I'd like to think the latter because it gets me right here, ya know?

After much deliberation and debate, and a little counsel, I have decided to make this blog about what it is like for me, and other people serving I imagine, to be away from home at this time of year. That is to say, I am going to tell you what it feels like to be here knowing most everyone I love is there and together.

Now, don't go calling the therapist or anything. I just watched "The Notebook" so I'm hoping for a little latitude! :p

Going home for my first leave block was an obvious choice so close to Christmas, and let's face it, I have put my loved ones through the level of stress reserved for families of the military. I was pretty cavalier about my adventure with a slight err of invincibility (see what I did there?)

I guess what I didn't realize was that, upon my return, I would find myself powerfully drawn to home. I had taken for granted those things which were common place only 4 months ago. My family. My friends. My life. Until recently, I didn't see the sacrifice people were thanking me for.

I discovered during my time away from Afghanistan that those whom you love and they who love you back have little difficulty expressing what you mean to them. They do things like send care packages, pick you up (or drop you off) at the airport, they cook your favourite food, let you crash on their couch, they hold your hand until it sweats or they squeeze you just a little bit tighter and longer knowing that you will be heading back there soon. Sometimes they just say the words.

Perhaps being so far away from home and in this volatile place I was more affected by the affections of my friends and family more than I anticipated. Perhaps I am at an age where I am getting more sentimental, I mean, I do cry during long-distance phone call commercials...who doesn't?

But I was affected.

I have always had a keen sense of adventure. I would decide to up and go and then I would. No problem.

But this time was different. I came to Afghanistan with the thrill of the upcoming challenge and prepared myself in almost every way I could imagine. What I hadn't prepared myself for was the feeling I had as I climbed back onto the plane to come back here. A feeling I still have but is slowly waning. Plainly put, it was tough. Really tough.

Don't get me wrong. I made the decision to come to Afghanistan. I don't have any regrets about that decision. But in fairness to myself and to you , the readers, I wanted to post about all aspects of the mission. It ain't all "kittens and rainbows" or, I guess in this case, "kickin' ass and takin' names".

I have been back over a week now and I have managed to kick myself in the ass (already have the name) to get re-motivated for the mission. I was forced to take some of the medicinal advice I have doled out to friends over the years. You know what I mean. The kind of advice they make those motivational posters about...

The bottom-line is I sincerely miss so many of you and I wish you all the very best during this Christmas season!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! Let's see if those Brownies can pull off a win for us. You haven't missed anything from them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ!!!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....all the HEALTH to You and Your Family....the rest is meaningless without it.

    JJ brings up excellent lessons in life that we continually need to be reminded of. One, we should be acutely cognizant and thankfull for the very earth we stand on here "back home"....as opposed to what we have accumulated or want to accumulate on that very earth. Overseas life, especially in a challenging mission shows what it is all about. A clean glass of water in Afghanistan is as a Tommy Hilfiger shirt over here. We do indeed take alot for granted, and it would bode well for us if we took a deep breath and realize we can't material goods with us when our journey ends.

    JJ you also write about the precious community and presence of family. That electric energy and inner weight that is felt before getting on the plane or while talking on the phone from overseas is our eternal but yet non measurable spiritual connection to our family. If we should be thankfull for the very earth we stand on, then equally so, we must honor that family that created us and gives us reason to stand on that earth.

    JJ, great lessons you have reminded us about bro, I miss you and love you and wish you a safe journey on your noble mission.

    Godspeed JJ
    Love
    Dale Corra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Jason and to you and your family.

    Enjoy your time at home with your family and friends.

    Why must you always have your laptop on your lap ?

    Soon...
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas J

    Seems like Christmas and your mission have really made you realize what's important in life. Stay safe and GodSpeed!!!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. JAY , Merry Christmas and New Year - phenomenal what you are doing. You make us proud . Be Careful Out There

    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay;

    Well you'll be pleased to know that this "roughy toughy" is sitting at her CIB desk in the "Scarborough Killing Fields" at 05:30 am., brimming with tears and the buttons on my chest popping off after reading your very poignant message (because I'm so proud of you...and partially because of all the Christmas pudding and Cheer!).

    All of your comments are very well said, it is ridiculous how much we take for granted.

    Keep "soldiering" on and know how much you are adored and constantly in our thoughts and prayers, (Jules and J.B. were over toboganning yesterday and we were all speaking fondly of you!!)

    Lovie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. JT, I read this and began to reflect on your true and heart spoken words. Thoses thoughts and insights you speak of is what makes you (and the others) a warrior. I am sitting here in Detroit having an Irish Car Bomb not only to salute your honor, but to all of thoses serving their country and sharing your these same insights. Be safe my brother, always in my prayers. Joe

    ReplyDelete