Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Friday, January 21, 2011

Thin Blue Line


It's no coincidence that police use the colour blue as their moniker. I mean, I know it's the colour of our uniforms but that is a simplistic way to look at it. The Thin Blue Line is a reference to we, in blue uniforms, standing between the good people in the community and those who would do them harm. But moreover, being True Blue is a reference to having Loyalty. That's what being Blue means to me. Loyal to my family, loyal to my friends, loyal to those I'm sworn to serve and protect. Ryan Russell was loyal.

Ironically, being Blue also means to be unhappy and it is with a heavy heart that I dedicate this post to Sergeant Ryan Russell of the Toronto Police Service. Ryan paid the ultimate price for his dedication, leadership and service to the community. And we shall always remember him as a hero because of it.

The man was a son, husband, father and a brother to those of us who wear a uniform each day.

I was touched by the outpouring of emotion shown by fellow officers and emergency personnel. What's more impressive to me was the public outcry, anger and dismay over the tragic event which transformed to love and support for Ryan's family and for those of us who must soldier on without him.
There is a time tested and true bond between policemen. We don't all love one another, nor are we all the best of friends. But I will say that we respect each other. Not necessarily for what we have accomplished or for how well we do our job but for the very reason we mourn the loss of our brother. I can look any police officer in the eye and know that they would lay down their life for me and, moreover, for you.

Over the course of the last several days I have received many emails or Facebook messages from friends, family and other coppers. People were reaching out across the world to offer support and share kind words of love and respect. Being so far away it's easy to feel disconnected from the very people who understand how it feels to lose a brother in arms. But those feelings of loss are felt from any distance. The Thin Blue Line stretched all the way here to Afghanistan to offer condolences and to share in the grief. I am truly grateful for that.

People over here and back in Canada were often curious as to whether or not I knew Ryan. The answer is yes. Not in the the traditional way. We didn't go to Ontario Police College together, we weren't in the same squad and we didn't even play on the same hockey team. But I knew him. I knew him in the way I know every other police officer. All I have to do is look inside myself and I see Ryan as does any police officer. We are all similar in spirit.
My friend and past partner Sean Thrush, currently with Police Dog Services wrote a few words about knowing Ryan Russell on Facebook. If you know Sean, check out his note "Did you know the officer?". It was extremely well written and pretty much sums up how I feel when people ask if I knew the man.

Lastly, I am reminded of a day I was in the USPX at KAF where I had the honour of meeting the father of fallen Canadian soldier Pvt Kevin McKay. He is a Toronto Fire Captain and approached me upon seeing the Toronto Police Service flash on my shoulder. He was here in Afghanistan for a service dedicated to his boy. We spoke for almost 45 minutes minutes and all I remember saying to him over and over was, "Thank you for your sacrifice". I admired his courage and strength. Mr. McKay's son made the sacrifice to be here and paid the ultimate price. But it is his father who lives with the loss everyday.

Ryan's wife Christine and son Nolan will always have to live with the sacrifice Ryan made. I want to thank Ryan for his dedication to our profession. He has made us all look incredibly good while reminding us what's on the line. More importantly, on behalf of all police officers serving here in Afghanistan, I want to acknowledge his family for sharing Ryan with us and to say "Thank you for your sacrifice".

7 comments:

  1. Well said Jason... You're missed over here! Continue to be safe over there. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an awesome post J. We miss you and it's in sad times that we think of those that we love the most, especially when we can't be near them. We are thinking of you and wishing you were home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay...I know you are far, far away, however, your spirit was right there with us as we marched down University Avenue. I thought of you, knowing that you would be wanting to be here....take comfort in knowing that you were.

    Stay safe,
    Lovie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always my friend, you are very well spoken and hit the nail on the head. Everyone misses you, be safe and can't wait to have you home and raise a Corona.

    Much Love brother
    Kisses
    Stocky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Demus says hi.

    Stay safe and keep up the good work.

    Yeo

    ReplyDelete
  6. JT, That said it all brother, be safe. God Bless Sgt. Russell and his family, we are so sorry for your lost.
    Jody
    USMS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jason, I am not sure if it's the Jason I know from the Toronto Police but I am the chef that used to work in Gravenhurst and that you helped when I was working the night clubs.
    Hope all is well with you.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete