Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Saturday, July 24, 2010

Background Information

I guess a good place to start is at the beginning. In January of this year I applied to be considered as a candidate for the upcoming CIVPOL Afghan mission set to deploy this September. CIVPOL is an acronym/abbreviation for Civilian Policing. The RCMP love acronyms!

The application process involved seeking authorization from my unit commander in writing, a resume, cover letter, background check and credit check. An overall assessment then takes place and a score is given to your application. If successful you're given a panel interview, a fitness test and a psychological evaluation by the Toronto Police. But that's just the beginning.

Once Toronto Police decide you are suitable they forward the application to the RCMP who conduct the entire process over again with 10 times the paperwork. Ugh.

So after 6 months plus of testing, evaluating and being investigated I made the final cut. The field of candidates was competitive and I feel fortunate to be among the team of 8 representing the Toronto Police Service and Canada!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world Jay! We are all very proud of you and what you have overcome to get to where you are today....on your way to Afghanistan! It'll be an experience you will never forget. We will miss you when you are gone :(

    ReplyDelete