Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pre- Pre-Deployment Training



We spent last week at the Emergency Task Force building in Toronto where we had some specialized training before we head to Ottawa/Petawawa for our pre-deployment training.

The training included cultural awareness, combat-style first aid and, of course, firearms training.

I have to tell you that I am very impressed with the ETF. Because they are so insulated from the rest of the department they have an air of mystery to them. This is sometimes construed by other police officers that they are arrogant or elitist. I am telling you first hand this IS NOT the case. I really enjoyed my time there. I have a new found respect for a squad I knew little about...and these guys are good dudes. Good dudes who can whip some ass if they have to!

We trained firearms both at the building and out at Borden where we were able to get some trigger time on the C8 rifle. Anti-ambush training gets the heart pumpin' let me tell you!

Thanks go out to our Sergeant in charge of the International Policing and to the ETF for allowing us into their world and making us feel welcome while helping prepare us for our upcoming adventure!

Tuesday, Ottawa!

3 comments:

  1. hey pal cally and i are getting loaded! good luck over there, dont talk with strangers, they are etf trained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed your time with ETF. It should an interesting next couple of weeks for you. we'll see you on our next free weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Ross and Cally to put down the lime and pick up a rifle.

    ReplyDelete