Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pre-deployment Paperwork !

So we have been here at Canadian Police College for 2 days now I am getting really good at filling out paperwork and watching powerpoint presentations. All the stuff that needs to be taken care of before climbing onto that airplane.

The accommodations are fairly nice with 2 dorm rooms sharing a bathroom. I'm hooked up with a Toronto guy and we get on pretty good. We start at Petawawa on Monday in full military regalia. Hooah. Half of the IPOB (International Policing Operations Branch) team picked up their uniforms and kit this morning and the rest of us are meant to get it tomorrow. It's like G.I. Joe Christmas here.

There are a total of 20 of us going from across the nation which has been paired down from the original number of 28. There are a surprising number of retired officers from RCMP and OPP. I, of course, hold the junior rank and junior time on. I'm already the designated class clown...not sure how THAT happened. Everybody is great so far as we get to know one another through the 45 minute coffee breaks we have between lectures.

As we prepare for this endeavour through paperwork, fingerprints, dna samples etc. the gravity of the nature of the mission starts to sink in. Listening to experiences and updates from over there I have started to realize already how much I'll miss my family, friends (and couch)! But rest assured, as I have, the things we are doing now in preparation are the ultimate in safeguards for our time there.

Other than that, nothing too cool to report so far. Wait until next week when we hit Petawawa!

1 comment:

  1. Class clown? You are right...NO idea how that happened. :)

    ReplyDelete