Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bandages, Dog Tags and Mines, oh my!


Okay! So this second week at Petawawa has been chocked full of really cool training with a big day coming up tomorrow.

Our team was intermingled with the Canadian Forces for Combat 1st Aid this week where we learned how to treat wounded soldiers with tourniquets and packing gauze etc. Not only did we practice aiding ourselves while waiting for help but also on real hunks of meat.
The highlight of morning #1 occurred when the instructors had us drop to the ground and tourniquet one leg until we couldn't feel it. Then we crawled across gravel stopping to check and see if the pressure was still good...but believe me, you could feel it working....because it hurts like hell! I wish I had a picture of us dragging our sorry arses across the lot but let's just say it wasn't a priority at the time!

Day 2 of Combat 1st Aid put us in the field with the CF in sections in full fighting order (head to toe battle gear)where we went live with actual simulated explosions and wounded (actors) role-playing as we did our assessment and treatment in the middle of a firefight. It was amazing how quickly we developed as a team as we rotated through the scenarios. But even with this little bit of stress things fall apart pretty damn quick. All I can say is if something like this happens it would be a really, really bad day at work!

That's why we were trained today (and tomorrow) on IED identification and land mine clearing!

And just so everyone reading knows, we, as CIVPOL officers, will not be required to do any of these things. It is the military's job to deal with these situations. They train us to familiarize us with their tactics so we aren't completely in the dark if we have to stop while in a convoy!

That being said, today we were with the same crew and were lectured on IEDs, landmines and how we use counter-measures and other abilities to minimize casualties with respect to the only weapon the "enemy" seem to have limited success with. It is a fact that Canadian soldiers are among the best trained in the world and are well-known counter-insurgency tacticians. So folks, rest-assured that the stuff we're learning works well.

Today we received our Dog Tags with our identification on it. They look pretty cool except it says I'm an RCMP! Hmph!

Tomorrow we are going live in convoys where we put into play our new skills of treating wounded, clearing mines and dealing with IED strikes! Rock n Roll!!!

Enough of the technical stuff. I am having fun, learning lots and am looking forward to getting over there and getting on the ground. We all are.

On a side note, I can't begin to tell you the level of respect I have for the soldiers we have encountered. I am impressed. They are kids. Kids with adult courage. It's unbelievable.

Next week we're back to Ottawa for a couple more weeks of training...21 days to go!

7 comments:

  1. 16 followers eh Jay? You are becoming good at this blogging stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likin' your passage so far. Be Safe Out there homie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COURAGE-The quality of mind,spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain without fear.

    Stay strong brother.

    Shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JT, Looks like your learning alot, I bet if there was a Corona on the other side of the lot you would get there pretty quick? Be safe bro! J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to sell ice cream down in the Matawa Plains there after riding my Dickie Dee bike down zipper hill. I thought that was a bad memory of Pet. Be careful brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your learning a lot. When your finished your tour, I want you to bring that knowledge back and into our office...we could use you in here.

    ReplyDelete