Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

CPC, Packing and OpSec

I have to touch on a few things for this blog having been recently lectured about media awareness and Operational Security.

Although I am enjoying writing this blog, and am happy so many people are reading it, I have to say that some of the upcoming posts may very well be a bit vague with respect to dates and times as well as locations. Photos will be cropped so that I don't inadvertently allow the evil-doers of the world access to any sensitive information. I'm sure you all understand.

That being said, I know what I can type, disclose and show. I'll try to make every post more interesting than a weather report and well wishes for all of you.

We're all back at the Canadian Police College looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. We're still learning more stuff and keen to get out there. They moved us into a different area of the college where we are all on the same floor with a shared bathroom. When I say "we" I mean everyone else because I scored the only commissioned officer's quarters on this floor with my own en suite bathroom. I know, you're right, I DO deserve it! :p

While we are here we are going to qualify on the RCMP side arm (S & W for you gun guys). We have done some GPS/map and compass work and tracking. I guess it's a bad idea to get lost anywhere over in Afghanistan!

Our stuff is meant to be shipped in the very near future and we are all getting really good at Tetris type packing! How does the saying go? "If it don't fit, force it"

The more of the little details we get finished the closer we are to getting on that plane and into our work. We still have not been told exactly what our jobs will be or where we will be posted. Although we'd like to know, it's probably best we don't. It will undoubtedly change several times before we are in mission. But hey, we're going to Afghanistan!

I'm thinking about and missing you all!

That's all for now, friends!

2 comments:

  1. How exactly did you score the officer's suite...hhmmmmmm LOL. Sounds cool so far. Keep up the good work. I'll get the S & W specs from you (for us civi's who are not on the need to know list) when you're back safe and sound. Thoughts and prayers little homie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi noodles hope things are all good keep in touch what is your day of departure Di and the kids say hi and stay safe

    ReplyDelete