Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Final Stretch

Training has started to wrap up here in Ottawa and although I am not at liberty to say exactly when we will be departing, I am sure you can all approximate when the deployment will take place. Here's a hint: really, really soon.

Our 400 lbs of kit has been packed, itemized and shipped overseas. Everyone here is dressed down for the final stretch. It looks a little like spring break with shorts, t-shirts, and my favourite, flip flops!!

Yesterday we were handed our postings in the form of what is called a deployment letter. I felt like I was back at highschool in the exam room peering over my buddy's shoulder to see what he got! Everyone was happy with their assignments.

I now know WHERE I'll be stationed but am still at a loss with respect to WHAT exactly I'll be doing. This is typical of military operations so I am not worried. I also was given the mailing address of my posting and will forward it to anyone interested in writing me.

Today we learned a lot about the Afghan culture, history and customs. Believe me when I tell you that we (in the Western world) are quick to have strong, uninformed opinions related to the Afghan people. Simply put they have had it rough and their overall mistrust of other cultures is not borne of nothing.


To go with the theme today we partook of a traditional Afghan meal where we ate on the floor with our hands (our right hands)! We had a rice and raisin dish, beef gorma, egg plant, a type of shawarma meat and a tandoori chicken dish. The food was excellent...or maybe it was my fingers :)

Because we are set to deploy and our gear had to go before us, we had to have picture day!! We 20 in our tan BDUs in a group shot and, of course, the individual portraits. Don't mind my silly grin, but I was hamming it up for my camera!

I will try to fire another blog update off before I jet although it maybe just words of appreciation for all of you who have been continually supportive throughout this mission training.

Uhthankya !

14 comments:

  1. Great pics Jay. The food actually looks pretty good. Got the address....will be writing soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spinny....congrats on completing your training. We are all thinking of you lots and proud of ya!
    Steph & Sully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a plate of 'mystery food' from the Grange.
    You should feel right at home.

    Have a good trip.

    Barwell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey J...I need to get your mailing address because I am going to make Uncle Greg bake chocolate chip cookies for you and I will mail them off to you so you can share them with the gang...congratulations on completing your training...I think of you everyday...be safe. love you Aunt Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JT

    Good luck again see you soon. I can't get over how old some of the guys from the other forces are. Other than chris you guys look like babies

    ReplyDelete
  6. JT, looks like your ready for what we call here in the states as the "SUCK". SO... you mean that falafal at 3am in Toronto wasn't true Afgan culture??? I blame Bobby and Moonman LOL. Keep you head down and be safe, your in our prayers my friend. Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. J, be safe. You have already done D52 and the service proud. Keep up with the blog and facebook. Safe roads ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure everyone was glad you had your own bathroom as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. god speed my friend...your reward for making it home will be tickets and beers the next time the browns play here in Minneapolis. Be Safe Spinner.
    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. JT,
    Congrats and good luck in AG pal.
    if you need an interpreter out there, lemme know, language is not your strong point ;)
    thoughts and prayers,
    Irish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be safe Jay. We'll be thinking of you and following the blog. Although I can't believe I am saying this, I am looking forward to your next night out with Cally because that will mean you are home safe and sound.
    Orla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just checking out your blog....we are all thinking of you....please be safe Jay, can't wait til your home safe and sound!! xo - Ali & Eric

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristy Wilkinson/SmithDecember 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM

    Hey Jay, just thinking about you over there as we approach Christmas Holidays. Be safe and keep smiling. We miss you here. I cant wait to read more about your adventure..
    You are doing both our country and service proud
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete