Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Saturday, September 18, 2010

That's How I Roll!

Excuse me, readers…do you have any Grey Poupon?

I have finally, sort of, settled down here at Camp Nathan Smith in sunny Kandahar, Afghanistan. I am sitting in a sea container that has been converted into a room with 2 beds and, once again, no roommate.

How did I get here? That’s the story of this blog post. The answer is not going to be as philosophical as you might imagine because rather than reason out why I am here I’m going to tell you how I got here…literally.

The 20 officers from across the country, with whom I have been training, and I climbed aboard an Air Canada flight bound for Frankfurt, Germany on September 10th. We were no ordinary passengers, however.

Much to the chagrin of the regular bourgeois, twenty of the nation’s finest climbed aboard AC 848 in business class met by a glass of sparkling wine and a mini kit designed to relax and refresh you during your flight (I guess).

The Air Canada flight attendants looked after us like doting mothers as we accepted their gifts and attention without hesitation. The flight was enjoyable, as I reclined in my pod seat and watched a movie and dined on beef tenderloin while sipping on the odd alcoholic beverage. Life is rough.

As we arrived in Frankfurt the plane gently kissed the ground before we taxied to our destination and de-planed. We were promptly directed to the Lufthansa executive class lounge. Am I sickening you yet?

The toughest part of the trip was the 8, turned 9 hour layover. We were forced to spend it in the lounge with free food, free beer, showers and sleep rooms. You can well imagine how well we fit in there!!

Upon boarding the Lufthansa executive class we were again met with sparkling wine and what? another mini-kit to relax and refresh. *sigh* I missed the meal (and most of the flight) due to my self administered, food induced coma

We landed in Dubai at about midnight and were met with an intense humid heat where reality decided to check us from our first class experience. We lugged our gear to a dusty, dirty bus with no air conditioning.

With the windows open for air circulation we traveled toward our Canadian Air Base smelling an unfamiliar fragrant air and with a keen sense that we had finally arrived.

12 comments:

  1. I love it Jay! I cannot wait to read more. :) Be careful and stay safe. xxx Annabelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the updates!!! Be careful, thinking of you lots!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great to read about your adventures, love! update when you can and stay safe. you are in my thoughts...
    xox leitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You stay safe...I love reading about your adventures keep us up to date...love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lufthansa is by far my favourite airline. They spoil you. I guess that whole experience was kind of like jacking up the heat in the car before getting out into below-average temps -- shock to the system.

    Stay safe =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck over there Jay. Hope you've gotten used to the heat somewhat over the last week. Great updates. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Business class, awesome. Glad your flights and lay over were first class.
    Now the fun starts, watch your ass cowboy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that an air canada condom in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thoughts are with you buddy. Fingers are crossed for a safe and fruitful experience.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeannette, Mark, Cheri, David, Suzanne & SteveSeptember 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM

    We're all thinking about you here at the Greene County Prosecutor's Office in Ohio, USA, Jason! Love the updates...be safe...and watch your back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the luck, a room to yourself! Take care, and as always - make friends.

    PVR

    ReplyDelete
  12. So proud of you Jason. Thanks for being you & for sharing this adventure with us. Please stay safe. Miss you. xo Jode

    ReplyDelete