Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Monday, November 15, 2010

Out of the Fryin' Panj...

And into the fire! I arrived safely in the Panjwa'i District via Chinook Helicopter near Kandahar City and close the Horn of Panjwa'i where the Canadian Battle Group is currently focusing operations to help build stability in the region.

Panjwa'i is now considered to be in the "Hold" phase of operations and safe for civilian mentors. It wasn't that long ago that a Canadian helicopter went down very near here where all of the passengers survived, thanks to the very men with whom I am now attached.

We (another CIVPOL fella who came in a few days after me) have joined up with a compliment of Military Police and other Canadian Forces personnel who make up my new team. The POMLT is a group of military who specialize in Police Operations. The group is comprised of a variety of ages and experience. Some of the guys here are the ripe age of 20 years and have seen more violence in 7 months than many of us will see in a lifetime. What's truly impressive is the manner by which they handle it. They take it all in stride, like another day at the office, except in this office they rely on one another for everything including support through traumatic experiences. There is definitely a strong sense of family here.

My new role is to assist with the mentoring of the District Chief of Police (who we dubbed the Afghan Robin Hood without the forest) and his Deputy and Operations Officer. These men are all younger than me (who isn't these days) and in charge of the Afghan Police with their boots on the ground. I am involved with day to day operations of the uniformed police in Panjwa'i and am doing the type of work I was hoping to do when I decided to toss my name in the hat.

The part of the compound the POMLT (and CIVPOL) live in is really small. There is a makeshift gym, a kitchen and a tiny bathroom. All the comforts of home. Well, except the gym is in a tent and made up of wood and nails, the kitchen is run by an American cook, the bathroom has no toilette or hot water. I live in the guard tower (in the bottom) in a cozy one room suite which is about 35 square feet, plenty of room for me (and my ROOMMATE)!Thaaaat's right. At least he's a Toronto copper...and a great cuddler :p

Oh, I forgot to mention the area in which we live is right beside the (HLS)helicopter landing strip and, literally, as I am typing this there is a Chinook landing spitting gravel all over the place while 2 Blackhawks fly around for protection. No big deal.

My partner and I have had the opportunity to go out to a site for a future PSS (Police Sub Station) while mentoring the DCoP (District Chief of Police). We walked a short, dusty distance from a secure compound to an area in a little village nearby. The people greeted us with friendly "Salaams" with their right hands over their hearts as we passed through. The kids followed us along our route speaking broken English asking for pens or water. One kid must have recognized me because he said, "Hey, Ugly, gimme a pen!" Aren't they sooo cute?

The work done here by the MPs to this point is impressive. There is progress being made. The right people are being put into key roles and measures of success are foreseeable in the near future. I hope that my partner and myself will be able to continue with the "game plan" through the transition from Roto 9 to Roto 10. In the following weeks the English speaking troops are being replaced, in large part, by the French speaking military, primarily the 22nd (VanDoos). I better brush up on my Franglais! Je m'appelle Jason et j'habite dans la sac du golfe! Uh...ya.

"EID MUBARAK!" Today marks the beginning of Eid Al Adha (Eid of Sacrifice), which is celebrated on the 10th day of the 12th month and I'm told is a little like Christmas where there is the giving of gifts etc. Believe it or not we gave our counterparts a sheep to offer as a gift to all of our Muslim brothers. Eid is a 3 to 4 day celebration whereby the Muslims are permitted by Allah to slaughter and feast...so about that sheep....ya...we ate it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Spinner...I absolutely love reading your updates. Keep them coming. It sounds like the most incredible experience. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JT
    Sounds like your still enjoying the adventure hope to see you when your home for holidays bring some sand take care see you soon

    moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jaaaaason! Was just led here by an American friend..I will now be checking in regularly to see how you are doing.

    Keeping you all in my prayers from snowy west coast Canada, and will be adding you to my own blogroll.

    THANK YOU for all that you are doing. Keep flying the flag.:)

    ReplyDelete