Afghan Adventure

My name is Jason and I am a 9 year veteran of the Toronto Police Service. I have been selected to represent my service for the upcoming International Policing Operations Branch of the RCMP in the next CIVPOL mission in Afghanistan.

I have set up this Blog for my family, friends and colleagues. It is my hope to provide a better understanding as to what is going on over in Afghanistan through my experience.


People often ask me why I have decided to take on this mission in such a politically volatile and dangerous environment. There are a lot of reasons but, Martin Luther King Jr. said it best.

"INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE!"


Friday, November 5, 2010

A Rolling Stone...


The move from FOB Walton came swiftly. On the day I was meant to depart I was ramming my sleeping bag into a garbage bag worried that all of my stuff was going to be tied to the side of one of our TLAVs (Tracked Light Armoured Vehicle). Anything that is fixed along the outside of these beasts ends up covered in beige talcum powder.

So there I was, in my private, amazing, comfortable room loaded down with full fighting order, helmet tipped forward into my eyes, backpack bursting at the seams, rifle slung over one shoulder and a black garbage bag slung over the other like Ole St. Nick. I swear I could hear my knees creaking as I staggered along to the rally point.

As we climbed aboard our tank-like trucks and the back ramp closed up and we started to roll I said a Good-Bye to FOB Walton. I left behind my little Afghan buddy, some friends, both CIVPOL and American military. I left behind high calorie foods, over-populated bathrooms, nightly small arms fire and 3 a.m. explosions and mortar fire. I joked with the guys that when I get home I am going to need someone to stand in the washroom with me in order to avoid "stage fright" and a "Sounds of War" CD to get me to sleep. What did Robert Duval say in Apocolypse Now? "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!" Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT bad.

We rolled on to KAF where we transitioned from our armoured truck to 'soft skinned' SUVs. We dumped our gear in the rear and rolled toward the JRAC (Joint Regional Afghan Command Center).

The JRAC. This is an ISAF sponsored build funded in large part on the back of the U.S. taxpayer and is also known as 'The Promised Land' to the Afghan National Police Regional Headquarters. It is meant to fill the voids and address the logistical shortcomings affecting the ANP at the current HQ...things like photocopiers, fax machines, phones and computers.

The JRAC is an 800 by 800 metre fenced in patch of land shared by 4 of Afghanistan's policing services situated along the side, very near KAF. Afghan Civil Order Police, Afghan Border Police, Afghan National Police Regional HQ (404 Maiwand) and the Regional Logistics Center. Each gets a quadrant of the area. And it is all brand new. New, but, the same colour...bland.

Remember how I spoke of the SEAMLESS transition? Wait for it.

As a member of the advance party, I bore witness to the department chiefs showing up on their Juma to take possession of their office space, gather up the new furnishings and stake claim to their new workspace. Sounds simple enough, right?

Something I have learned about the Afghan culture so far is that "stuff" equals "status". It was no surprise that officers were laying claim to more offices than they had originally been assigned, helped themselves to extra pieces of office furniture, televisions and couches and "jingled" (decorated) up their space...that is until the General arrived.

After a quick and effective blast of sh*%, the mentor advance party was given the responsibility of safe-guarding the offices and locking down all of the rooms and furniture until everyone got sorted. It was a bit of a gong-show to say the least. Other than that, fairly seamless...the organization continues.

So there I was, at the JRAC, in a bunkhouse, gear still packed, sleeping on the top bunk in a small cement room with a few of the boys I had stayed with my first week at Walton, with no real privacy, no internet with one toilet and one shower (to be shared among 12 of us). The Promised Land.


Day 3 at the JRAC and I've settled in, unpacked my stuff and the remaining Canadian Forces OMLT crew have arrived. Things are looking up. We have a temporary internet connection, our dried goods and comforts of home have been shipped in. This isn't going to be so bad.

At day's end, just as I kick my feet up I get word. Re-assigned.

It seems the next adventure is already about to begin. Pack your gear, Tomlinson, you're on the move.

And so, while laughing to myself, I start to pack AGAIN.

Now. Where did I put that garbage bag?

12 comments:

  1. I don't really know you but you are one heck of a great writer! I found your blog as I was trying to find info on a Chaplain friend of mine over there... God bless you and keep posting ~ I just love your view of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Cheeks:
    Okay, this is my third crack at sending you a comment on your blog...I have sent you bloody novels (2), however, somehow it keeps getting lost, and not posted. After this, I will resort to e-mail! I was really ticked, as I fancied myself a bit of a writer myself...all sorts of digs about Cally and Brian fancying themselves as "Paul Bunyon" nearly killing each other as they were chopping down trees at the ranch!
    Anyhow my friend, as always, we are sooooooo proud of you and your updates are amazing. Who knew you were a budding writer?
    Be safe and keep your sense of humour...I actually felt like I was there with you having a Corona!! Kisses, Lovie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they show the Sabres beating the Leafs on Afghan TV?

    Your posts are awesome -stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got to smile and write lots more...I love it when I hear from you J...one thing you must promise everyone is when you get home you will continue to write. I think you have a new found talent...wish you a safe journey home in a couple of week. Need to see you...love Aunt Glo

    ReplyDelete
  5. JT, it's TJ. This is the first i've heard you speak about your trials over there- impressive man. I just want you to know we're all thinking of you over here, and know we'll see you before long. Keep it coming brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tumbleweed, if you keep writing when you get back, I will buy you a tweed jacket....you will have to pay to have the shoulders taken in, though. Keep soaking it up man. I am really proud to know you.
    G. Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jason

    I am loving reading your blogs. Your writing is fantastic! All of us Braves are proud of you! Missed you at the reunion. Take Care, Stay Safe and keep us posted..... KAGD

    ReplyDelete
  8. JT,

    I already miss the drone of your sobbing at night lulling me to sleep. Things have declined steadily since you left (with the exception of the company of course) no electricity, no running water, no sewage, no DFAC, no fuel, no problem. Will be thinking of you when I leave this place in 2 weeks! Remember, you break my kit, you buy it...GCL

    ReplyDelete
  9. JT, Sounds like Detroit?? Did you go west instead of east?? Be safe and god bless my friend.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jay, keep up the good work. I am constantly checking for updated posts to your blog - you truly have a gift for putting your experiences into words. Stay safe out there, dude. Heather says she can't wait to share a Corona with you and hear about some of your adventures. Can't wait for the next post!
    S. Thrush

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jason! I agree with the others - your writing is phenomenal! Have you always had this talent? I was thinking of you and all of the other Canadians in Afganistan yesterday. Stay safe and thank you so much for doing this important work! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spinny,

    Missing you. Keep up the good work. Be safe, and keep us all up to date with your poignant dialogue. Can't wait for you to be home, and meet the new little one!

    Ryan, Jen and Charlie

    ReplyDelete